The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), or Mormons, is a Christian denomination that has a strict set of religious guidelines for members of their faith. One of the most important of these guidelines is the Sabbath Day and the observance of the Sabbath Day. This means that all activities that are not required for the faithful practice of their religion must be avoided on Sundays. This includes watching TV and attending sporting events. So, can Mormons watch sports on Sunday?
|Bet on Basketball
$1,000 Welcome Bonus
A+ Rating Review
25+ Years Online
What does the LDS Church Teach About Sunday Worship?
The LDS Church teaches that Sundays are to be spent in worship, prayer, and reflection. Sundays are considered a day of rest and are meant to be kept holy. The Church teaches that “Sunday is a day to honor God and keep his commandments. It is a day to attend church meetings, study the gospel, and spend time with family.” Additionally, the Church instructs that “Sunday is not a day for shopping, playing sports, or recreational activities.”
Can Mormons Watch Sports on Sunday?
In general, the LDS Church discourages members from watching sports on Sundays. The Church teaches that “Sunday is not a day for engaging in sports or recreational activities.” While watching sports on Sunday may be permissible under certain circumstances, it is generally discouraged.
What Factors Should Mormons Consider When Deciding Whether to Watch Sports on Sunday?
When deciding whether to watch sports on Sunday, Mormons should consider the following factors:
- Time: How much time will be spent watching sports? If a large amount of time is spent watching sports, it could detract from other spiritual pursuits such as prayer, scripture study, and attending worship services.
- Attitude: How will watching sports affect one’s attitude? Will it be a positive or negative influence? Will it lead to feelings of peace and joy, or feelings of envy or resentment?
- Setting: Is the environment conducive to spiritual growth? Will the environment be distracting or will it be conducive to spiritual contemplation?
- Company: Who will be watching sports with you? Will the people you’re watching with be a positive or negative influence?
What Are Some Alternatives to Watching Sports on Sunday?
Mormons may choose to avoid watching sports on Sundays and instead spend the day in spiritual pursuits such as prayer, scripture study, attending worship services, and spending time with family. Additionally, Mormons may choose to engage in charitable activities such as visiting the sick and elderly, volunteering at a soup kitchen, or visiting a homeless shelter.
What Are Some Tips for Watching Sports on Sunday for Mormons?
If a Mormon decides to watch sports on Sunday, there are some tips to ensure that it does not become an idol.
- Set limits: Set a time limit for watching sports and stick to it. Make sure there is enough time left over to attend worship services and engage in other spiritual pursuits.
- Maintain perspective: Remember that sports are a recreation, not a religion. Do not become overly invested in the outcome of the game.
- Avoid comparisons: Avoid comparing yourself to others. Do not become consumed with envy or resentment.
- Engage in meaningful conversations: Use the time spent watching sports to have meaningful conversations with family and friends.
What Are Some Tips for Watching Sports on Sundays with Family?
Mormons who choose to watch sports on Sundays with family can use the following tips to ensure it is a positive experience:
- Create a family atmosphere: Create an atmosphere of respect, cooperation, and kindness. Set rules for appropriate behavior and encourage conversation.
- Encourage healthy competition: Encourage healthy competition between family members and friends. Keep the competition friendly and avoid becoming too competitive.
- Focus on the positive: Focus on the positive aspects of the game, such as teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Be an example: Be an example of proper behavior and respect for the game. Encourage others to follow your example.
The LDS Church teaches that Sundays are to be kept holy and should be spent in spiritual pursuits such as prayer, scripture study, and attending worship services. While watching sports on Sunday may be permissible under certain circumstances, it is generally discouraged. However, if a Mormon decides to watch sports on Sunday, they should do so in a way that is consistent with the teachings of the LDS Church, by setting limits, maintaining perspective, avoiding comparisons, and engaging in meaningful conversations. Furthermore, Mormons who watch sports on Sunday with family can encourage healthy competition and be an example of proper behavior.
– “Sunday Observance.” The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/sunday-observance?lang=eng.
– “Sunday Worship.” Mormon.org, mormon.org/beliefs/sabbath-day.
– “What Mormons Can and Cannot Do on Sunday.” ThoughtCo, thoughtco.com/what-mormons-can-and-cannot-do-on-sunday-2136464.
– “Sunday Activities: What Mormons Can and Cannot Do on Sunday.” Mormons in Transition, mormonsintransition.org/sunday-activities-what-mormons-can-and-cannot-do-on-sunday/.
– “Can Mormons Watch Sports on Sunday?” Mormon Hub, mormonhub.com/can-mormons-watch-sports-on-sunday/.